Why this role matters to DG
Designer Group is a leading specialist Mechanical and Electrical service provider working direct to the client or for tier 1 main contractors on a range of high profile projects within London and surrounding areas. DG is a very established business with the Dublin office employing over 800 staff. The UK business subsequently opened in 2006 becoming very successful, growing significantly within the last two years and currently employing over 200 staff which will continue to increase over the next five years. Our success depends solely on the quality and motivation of our people and their ability to challenge the ‘norm’.
Our people are the foundation of our continued growth across all client sectors. We invest in our people and have a philosophy of continuous professional development. This investment has produced an innovative and passionate team that deliver projects for our clients safely, efficiently and to the highest standards in the industry. Our approach to everything we do is underpinned by our Values: Safe/Trust/Respect/Challenge/Deliver.
Due to the businesses continued growth we currently have a new exciting opportunity for a Commercial Manager to join our busy team on a permanent, full-time basis working from one of our prestigious projects in Central London.
We are therefore looking for individuals who are enthusiastic, team oriented and are looking for a challenge in a growing organisation.
Reporting to the Commercial Director the responsibilities, requirements and personal specifications for the position are as outlined below
- Manage the company’s commercial affairs in conjunction with the Commercial Director.
- Ensure robust processes are in place to monitor review and control project budgets.
- Implement the company’s cost and value management procedures and ensure that all necessary commercial reports are produced accurately and in a timely fashion to senior management.
- Advise on improvements to the management systems with the aim of achieving greater efficiencies.
- Identify commercial opportunities and lead on the realisation of these opportunities.
- To liaise with operational managers/directors on a regular basis to ensure the ongoing commercial performance within each project.
- To closely manage the change control process across the projects to ensure the earliest agreement of time and cost in relation to change events.
Managing a team of Quantity Surveyors across multiple projects to ensure delivery of the following:
- Prepare Tender Risk Analysis based on standard formats.
- Prepare contract documentation.
- Prepare Project Execution Plans, Procurement Strategies and communicate set-up of Projects.
- Evaluate the terms and conditions of sub-contractors / contracts with particular emphasis on Risk, Program, Terms & Conditions, Design Responsibility, etc.
- Placement of sub-contract orders in conjunction with relevant Manager/Procurement Department.
- Maintain procurement schedules.
- Prepare subcontract documentation, issue enquiries and negotiate agreements.
- Provide advice on contractual claims – analysing outcomes and forecast and report as required.
- Understand the contractual requirements of project documents including the roles and responsibilities of all involved and the contractual notices required.
Risk and Change Management
- Set up and maintain variation logs with feed into costs as outlined above for all client variations and sub-contract variations, including the management and agreement of such variations.
- Evaluation and recovery of any change that is not Designer Group’s risk/ liability including recovery from 3rd parties.
- Review Site Programmes in respect to delays, disruption, damage and sub-contract program, and ensure as-built records are maintained and appropriate policies/correspondence is issued accordingly.
- Identify, analyse and develop responses to commercial risks and opportunities.
- Ensure Live Risk Register is updated on monthly basis.
- Run accurate Commercial Cost Control Reports on projects ensuring reports clearly identify committed costs and forecast costs to completion for all categories of project costs.
- Understand allowances for elements of work.
- Administer and value sub-contractor accounts.
- Use the company’s financial systems to the benefit of the business to ensure accurate cost reporting.
- Measurement of work to maximise the value of applications to our clients.
- Prepare interim and final accounts.
- Liaise with the client, client representatives and other 3rd parties on commercial issues including the agreement of additional monies
- Administer applications for payment and payment of sub-contractors to ensure positive cash flow where possible and fair valuations.
- Ensure that client relationships are enhanced to maximise on current and future opportunities.
- To prepare and present monthly company reports at each project and/or business review, in line with company formats and standards.
- Respond to client letters in a fitting and contractual manner to ensure that the companies’ position is protected at all times.
- Always act in a manner fitting to the business and uphold the company’s standards internally and externally at all times.
- Interaction with operational delivery teams on a regular basis to ensure ongoing commercial performance within each project.
- Provide ongoing support and management to multiple QS’ across a number of projects.
Knowledge and Experience
- Knowledge of Contract Law.
- Ten years’ experience working as a project quantity surveyor or higher.
- Has previous experience working for a M&E services Contractor.
- Experience and knowledge of M&E industry.
- Experience in claims and EOT analysis and recovery.
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft office: Word and Excel.
- Use of estimating / measurement software such as Bluebeam, Countfire, etc.
- Ability to demonstrate clear understanding of mechanical and electrical systems and their installation methods.
- A degree in Quantity Surveying (BSc Hons Preferable) or Engineering Degree qualification 2:1 or above from a recognised body.
- Able to communicate fluently in English both written and verbally
- Able to use own initiative
- Good people management and motivational skills
- Takes responsibility for own workload
- Excellent organisational skills
- Attention to detail
- Communicates effectively both written and verbal
- Enjoys problem solving
- Able to interact confidently with different levels of staff
- A ‘can do’ attitude
- Good influencing skills
- Builds appropriate, professional and friendly relationships with the teams both in the office and on site
- Excellent presentation skills
- Effective use of time, ability to plan ahead and prioritise workload
- Ability to work under pressure to meet set deadlines
Designer Group is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity.