About the Company
Designer Group is a leading Global Engineering Contractor specialising in turnkey packages for the design, supply and installation of utilities. Headquartered in Dublin, with regional offices in Limerick, the UK, Germany, Africa and the USA, we directly employ over 1000 staff across the Group. As an industry leader, we work with some of the world’s largest multinational companies.
Our people are the foundation for our continued growth across all client sectors. We invest in our people and have a philosophy of continuous professional development. This investment has produced an innovative and passionate team that deliver projects for our clients safely, efficiently and to the highest standards in the industry.
Why this role matters to Designer Group
As part of an exciting company expansion project Designer Group are seeking for a Chargehand to join our On-Site Department.
- Work closely with the Site Manager to ensure you are fully familiar with all of Designer Group’s responsibilities on the project as set out in the project documentation.
- Be fully familiar with the agreed project programme including all handover dates, milestones and critical paths in the programme.
- Be familiar with the Safety and Health Regulations and company policy applicable to the work on which you are engaged and insist that the prescribed standards are observed.
- Ensure, so far as is reasonably practicable, that safe systems of work are in place.
- Ensure that the relevant H&S paperwork is in place for all tasks.
- Maintain a tidy workplace. Arrange for regular clean-up periods. Appoint person responsible. Insist that all persons on site, employees, sub-contractors, self employed visitors wear safety helmets, high visibility jacket, gloves and goggles. Do not allow anyone to work without these items. (Ref: Protection Clothing/Equipment).
- Work with the M&E Co-ordinator and the Site Manager on all on-site coordination.
- In conjunction with the M&E Co-ordinator and the Site Manager liaise directly with direct staff and where applicable, sub-contractors, and monitor their progress in accordance with the project programme.
- Induct all subcontractors onto site.
- Liaise with the subcontractors to ensure there is adequate stock of PPE on site in advance and also to monitor their use so they are not abusing it.
- Monitor both direct staff and sub contractors’s safe work practices including their use of full PPE as required, correct use of podium steps/scaffolds, their correct usage and management of our materials on site, i.e. ensuring there is minimum waste that that they use and maintain the site stores correctly.
- As may be necessary, issue safety violations to direct staff and subcontractors stand them down if necessary.
- Work with the EHS Department, Site Manager, direct staff and subcontractors to ensure the site is kept safe and all audits are actioned.
- Work with QA/Commissioning Manager, and the Site Manager to ensure all works are executed to the highest level of quality. Ensure a ‘snag as we go policy’ is implemented and relevant punch lists are actioned accordingly.
- Liaise with the Main Contractor on a daily basis. This should be done via whiteboard meetings. All items agreed at these meetings must be recorded.
- Manage draw down orders as required to ensure materials are on site at the right time, e.g. pipe, fittings etc.
- Ensure all subcontractors have safepass cards, manual handling and all appropriate training records on site as required.
- Liaise with the Main Contractor to ensure adequate temporary power is available.
- Provide support to all apprentices and ensure training is carried out in accordance with Company policy.
- Issue permits – e.g. Hot works, ladder etc., to direct staff and sub-contractors. Ensure they are in place before any works commence on site.
- Maintain plant records on site and ensure they are returned each week.
- Comply with Designer Group Policies and Procedures throughout day to day working.
Your education & experience requirements
- 5 years’ + trade experience.
- Good interpersonal & written communication skills.
Our people are the foundation for our continued growth and so encouraging continuous professional development and pathway to Professional Chartership is a top priority. This investment has produced an innovative and passionate team that deliver projects for our clients safely, efficiently and to the highest standards in the industry.
Our Head of Engineering began his career with Designer Group as a Graduate Electrical Engineer. His drive and ambition have allowed him to develop within Designer Group and we encourage all our staff to do the same.