Why this role matters to DG
Designer Group is a leading specialist Mechanical and Electrical service provider working direct to the client or for tier 1 main contractors on a range of high profile projects within London and surrounding areas. DG is a very established business with the Dublin office employing over 800 staff. The UK business subsequently opened in 2006 becoming very successful, growing significantly within the last two years and currently employing over 200 staff which will continue to increase over the next five years. Our success depends solely on the quality and motivation of our people and their ability to challenge the ‘norm’.
Our people are the foundation of our continued growth across all client sectors. We invest in our people and have a philosophy of continuous professional development. This investment has produced an innovative and passionate team that deliver projects for our clients safely, efficiently and to the highest standards in the industry. Our approach to everything we do is underpinned by our Values: Safe/Trust/Respect/Challenge/Deliver.
We currently have an exciting opportunity for a Graduate Building Services Project Engineer to join the business on a permanent, full-time basis working from our UK Head Office, based in Watford. With occasional travel to our prestigious projects in Central London and the surrounding areas.
The role would suit someone that is keen to develop their career in a growing organisation.
Reporting to the Talent and Development Manager, and personal specifications for the position are as outlined here.
- Tendering of new bids
- Design review, validation and manage the design development
- Procurement of the mechanical/Electrical packages
- Planning of the works including design, procurement, installation, commissioning and handover phases in line with Main Contractor and DG procedures
- Preconstruction Management of all aspects such as health & safety, technical submissions, 3D modelling, construction drawing production, prefabrication, Building Control submissions and commissioning management.
- Management of sub-contractors
- Management of all interface elements with Main Contractor specialist packages i.e. lift installations, utilities
- Commercial management – Execution of the mechanical subcontractors contracts, management of the variation account or input as required for the project surveyor to achieve the same
- Ensure that QA procedures are fully implemented on each project in accordance with DG and Main Contractor requirements
- Knowledge and Experience
- NVQ3 as a minimum in respected area (Mechanical / Electrical). Equivalent qualifications or relevant experience will be considered.
- Site Managers Safety Certificate (SMSTs) and associated CSCS card.
- Produce monthly project audits and reports
- Programme/planning management with regular subcontractors progress minuted meetings
- Ensure that works are undertaken in a safe manner in line with company practice, current legislation and good practices, review method statements and risk assessments and undertake regular site safety observations and tours.
- Commissioning management and witnessing. Including production of the commissionability studies taking in to account mechanical disciplines
- Production of the services interface matrix with the commissionability study
- Integrated systems testing including Building Control sign off
- Assist in gaining Practical Completion
- Manage project close out and defects period.
- Minimum 2:1 Degree in Building Services or Mechanical Engineering (Must have passed within the last 2 years)
- Be confident and outgoing
- Be able to use their own initiative
- Take responsibility for their own workload
- Have excellent organisational skills
- Have excellent attention to detail
- Be able to communication effectively both written and verbal
- Enjoy problem solving
- Be able to interact confidently with different levels of staff
- Have a ‘can do’ attitude
- Have good influencing skills
- Have excellent presentation skills
Designer Group is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity.