Why this role matters to DG
Designer Group is a leading specialist Mechanical and Electrical service provider working direct to the client or for tier 1 main contractors on a range of high profile projects within London and surrounding areas. DG is a very established business with the Dublin office employing over 800 staff. The UK business subsequently opened in 2006 becoming very successful, growing significantly within the last two years and currently employing over 200 staff which will continue to increase over the next five years. Our success depends solely on the quality and motivation of our people and their ability to challenge the ‘norm’.
Our people are the foundation of our continued growth across all client sectors. We invest in our people and have a philosophy of continuous professional development. This investment has produced an innovative and passionate team that deliver projects for our clients safely, efficiently and to the highest standards in the industry. Our approach to everything we do is underpinned by our Values: Safe/Trust/Respect/Challenge/Deliver.
Due to the businesses continued growth we currently have a new exciting opportunity for a Head of Engineering to join our busy team on a permanent, full-time basis working from one of our prestigious projects in Central London.
We are therefore looking for individuals who are enthusiastic, team oriented and are looking for a challenge in a growing organisation.
Reporting to the COO, the responsibilities, requirements and personal specifications for the position are as outlined below
- Managing a team of engineers to support the estimation, preconstruction, construction and commissioning phases of our project portfolio.
- Provide technical input to the estimation team during the tendering process to identify opportunities for value engineering, innovation and modern methods of construction.
- Support the work winning process through demonstration of technical competence throughout the tendering process including client meetings and presentations.
- Provide a framework to support the project teams in delivering a consistent and high-quality pre-construction process.
- Support the procurement team with technical due diligence of the supply chain including supplier competence assessment and offer appraisals.
- Support site teams throughout the project lifecycle, e.g. Technical submissions, drawing reviews, BIM model development, client reviews
- Oversight of external design partners to assure the quality of the engineering solutions throughout the project lifecycle.
- Review existing quality and engineering standards, and update in line with project and industry requirements
- Manage the implementation of the DG Gold Standard quality assurance program including auditing of installations and subcontractor performance.
- Mentor and support the development of graduate and junior engineers
- Support the aftercare team in fault-finding and rectifying warranty defects.
- Degree in engineering or building services
- Strong understanding of mechanical and electrical systems from a design and construction perspective
- Good knowledge of energy efficient and sustainable design solutions.
- Good knowledge of the regulatory engineering standards within the UK.
- Ability to read drawings and understand technical papers and documents.
- Ability to create technical documents, size plant/ equipment, comment on technical drawings and assist in engineering solutions and design.
- Minimum 10-15 years experience in engineering design, construction and project management.
- Experienced construction industry professional with a track record in delivering large project MEP projects.
- Ability to manage a team of engineers to deliver high quality and consistent performance.
- Good communication and influencing skills
- Good presentation skills
- Process driven with the ability to work in a structured manner
- Good IT skills
- Able to bring new ideas, innovate and make improvements
- Able to use own initiative with minimal supervision
- Able to handle confidential information
- Able to problem solve through a pragmatic and commercially sound approach
- Attention to detail
- A ‘can do’ attitude
- Interested in learning new skills, further education and career progression
- Possess an excellent grasp of the English language and grammar
Designer Group is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity.