About our Company
Designer Group is a leading international mechanical & electrical provider specialising in turnkey packages for the design, supply, and installation of utilities. Headquartered in Dublin, we directly employ over 1,000 experienced and dedicated colleagues across the Group. As an industry leader, we work with some of the world’s largest multinational companies and our common purpose is delivering ambitious, innovative and sustainable engineering solutions, building client partnerships that bear testament to the standards we uphold.
Our people are the foundation of our continued growth across all client sectors. We invest in our people and have a philosophy of continuous professional development. This investment has produced an innovative and passionate team that deliver projects for our clients safely, efficiently and to the highest standards in the industry. Our approach to everything we do is underpinned by our Values: Safe/Trust/Respect/Challenge/Deliver.
Why this role matters to Designer Group
The Engineering Team is an essential department within Designer Group and forms part of the foundation of every project. The Engineering Team is directly responsible for a number of key components in a project, delivering the highest standard of safety and quality.
Designer Group is always at the forefront of the latest design and construction technology. From utilising design software, 3D modelling, point cloud scanning and 3D printing, Designer Group ensures their Engineering Team are equipped with the latest and best technology to ensure innovative solutions.
Designer Group are involved in projects from all disciplines across multiple regions. Some of our current live projects include:
- Forensic Science Laboratory – Full M&E installation of laboratories, clean rooms and amenity spaces.
- Trinity E3 Learning Centre – Full M&E installation of laboratories, workshops, teaching spaces and amenity spaces.
- Diageo Biomass Plants – Full M&E, Process and CSA design and build. Installation included the biomass boilers, ESP’s, fuel handling, CSA and building services. Regions Include: Kenya, Uganda and Mexico.
As the mechanical engineering manager, you will be responsible for managing a mechanical team that consists of 10 mechanical engineers. The team structure includes senior level, intermediate level and graduate level. The mechanical engineers are embedded in our construction team diamond structure. Collaboration with the senior project management team is key for successful delivery of our landmark projects.
Roles & responsibilities
- Provide engineering support to key tender projects aligned with the Group 2025 Strategy.
- Provide engineering support to the construction teams during the preconstruction phase of projects. This would include a full design review of drawings, specifications and schedules to ensure compliance with the applicable standards and industry guides.
- Provide technical and commercial leadership support to design and build projects including design managing aspects.
- Take a proactive role in the estimation to operations team handover on all projects.
- Providing leadership and proactive management of the team of project engineers with a key focus on ensuring we always live out the company values, Safe, Trust, Respect, Challenge and Deliver.
- Leading the recruitment and induction of new team members.
- Taking an active role in the training and mentoring of graduate engineers and intermediate mechanical engineers.
- Managing the engineering project budget and tracking the monthly spend, leading the necessary changes to ensure we meet or beat budget.
- Conduct engineering audits on a monthly basis providing positive feedback and challenging when necessary.
- Review and further develop the DG engineering standard documents and process manuals.
- Develop monthly CPD calendar of training.
- Contribute to the Engineering 2022 Strategy.
- Contribute to the Group 2025 Strategy.
- Support the DG Engineers Ireland CPD accreditation and yearly audit.
- Learning and development opportunities
- Health Care
- Career Progression
- Accredited Engineers Ireland Employer for CPD
- Pathway to Chartership
- International Travel Opportunities
Your education & experience
- A Level 7 or 8 Degree in Mechanical Engineering or Building Services Engineering.
- Resilient, trusting and challenging approach.
- Driven, commercial and energetic with an intense focus on the detail.
- A great people leader with excellent management communication skills.
- Minimum 10 years’ experience in building services engineering or a similar role.
- Strong understanding of mechanical systems from a design or construction perspective.
- Capable of leading an engineering team.
- Fully aware of new technology and innovative solutions.
- Excellent knowledge of the current building regulations for both mechanical and electrical.
- Thorough knowledge of key engineering software packages.
Our people are the foundation for our continued growth and so encouraging continuous professional development and pathway to Professional Chartership is a top priority. This investment has produced an innovative and passionate team that deliver projects for our clients safely, efficiently and to the highest standards in the industry.
Our Head of Engineering began his career with Designer Group as a Graduate Electrical Engineer. His drive and ambition have allowed him to develop within Designer Group and we encourage all our staff to do the same.