About The Company
Designer Group is a leading specialist Mechanical and Electrical service provider working direct to the client or for tier 1 main contractors on a range of high profile projects within London and surrounding areas. DG is a very established business with the Dublin office employing over 800 staff. The UK business subsequently opened in 2006 becoming very successful, growing significantly within the last two years and currently employing over 200 staff which will continue to increase over the next five years. Our success depends solely on the quality and motivation of our people and their ability to challenge the ‘norm’.
Our people are the foundation of our continued growth across all client sectors. We invest in our people and have a philosophy of continuous professional development. This investment has produced an innovative and passionate team that deliver projects for our clients safely, efficiently and to the highest standards in the industry. Our approach to everything we do is underpinned by our Values:
Why this role matters to DG
This is an exciting time for Designer Group, with the fruits of our Engineering Our Future Strategy 2025 reflected in our substantial pipeline of work in Ireland, Europe, Africa and South America.
Due to this substantial business growth in Ireland and overseas, we have a requirement to expand our Senior Leadership Team. Our pipeline of new projects requires experienced Operations Directors to provide leadership and direction to project teams, fostering positive engagement at all levels of the Group.
With such a healthy workbook of large projects in the pipeline this is an extremely exciting time to join Designer Group.
As Operations Director you will be leading project operations across various projects that run concurrently. Operating to our Gold Standards and reflecting our Company Values, you will be responsible to ensure the projects are delivered on time, on budget, to the highest quality standards and exceeding client’s expectations. Your role will involve the management of the “project diamond”, consisting of senior project personnel, (Site Managers, Engineers, Quantity Surveyors and other departmental leads) in the delivery of the contracts under your control.
We require an influencer with values-driven leadership experience and proven results to work collaboratively with other Operations Directors to support project teams to achieve excellence in our delivery to clients and stakeholders.
- Provide leadership and direction across designated projects teams, fostering positive engagement at all levels of the organisation.
- Be an influencer and role model, empowering project personnel and always promoting Designer Group’s values. “Safe, Respect, Challenge, Deliver and Trust”
- Motivate the people within your direct team and throughout the business.
- Strive for excellence in business operations and deliver our Gold Standards
- Work collaboratively with other directors and members of the Senior Leadership team and the QEHS Department to achieve world-class QEHS practices.
- Foster productive, collaborative partnerships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Drive a culture of accountability to achieve quality organisational outcomes.
- Responsible for the operational budget and cost for the portfolio under their remit and the cross-company implications and synergies.
- Risk identification, management and mitigation.
- Continuously monitor operational systems, policies and procedures for the improvements to support the delivery of Designer Group’s strategic goals.
- Monitor and continuously improve work processes that produce top-quality, repeatable and scalable deliverables for our clients.
- Assist the Estimation department through the Pre-Qualification and Pre-Award process for key target projects in line with our strategy
- Provide the Group CEO, the Board and others in leadership with functional, relevant and timely reports, as required.
- Work alongside Commercial Manager, Project Director and Project QS to ensure we are managing and reporting change correctly.
- Responsible for highlighting short comings of the business and bringing forward betterment initiatives in areas such as quality, reporting, resourcing, productivity and delivery.
- Understand and manage each contract and ensure project teams also understand.
- Risk identification, management and mitigation.
- Ensuring the project teams have capability, capacity and resources to deliver their projects.
- Self-direction and delivery their projects against key performance indicators, such as cash position and margin performance against original tender.
- Oversee the development of financial budget plans with Project/Contract Managers.
- Maintain support for the project and site personnel and troubleshoot technical issues that arise during projects.
- Monitor compliance with safety policy and practice, ensuring the implementation of corrective actions as identified.
Business development in line with strategy
- Build strong relationships with external partners and other stakeholders.
- Establish new relationships/partnerships and new business/clients to support the future success of the Group.
- Prioritise opportunities in the pipeline.
- Drive ongoing innovation.
- Ensure the capability and capacity is in place to deliver the Group strategy.
- Develop and evaluate new business strategies to enhance market share and improve overall performance.
Knowledge and Experience
- Ability to demonstrate building strong working relationships & stakeholder management.
- Strong interpersonal & written communication skills.
- Proven high level of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Great people manager
- Ideally 15+ years’ experience in M&E background.
- Third Level Degree
Designer Group is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity.