Why this role matters to DG
Designer Group is a leading international mechanical & electrical provider specialising in turnkey packages for the design, supply, and installation of utilities. Headquartered in Dublin, we directly employ over 1,000 experienced and dedicated colleagues across the Group. As an industry leader, we work with some of the world’s largest multinational companies and our common purpose is delivering ambitious, innovative and sustainable engineering solutions, building client partnerships that bear testament to the standards we uphold.
Our people are the foundation of our continued growth across all client sectors. We invest in our people and have a philosophy of continuous professional development. This investment has produced an innovative and passionate team that deliver projects for our clients safely, efficiently and to the highest standards in the industry. Our approach to everything we do is underpinned by our Values: Safe/Trust/Respect/Challenge/Deliver.
Our Commercial team are focused on delivering outstanding commercial service to the business and our customers and are at the centre of our project delivery teams and are trusted and relied upon by our colleagues and respected by our customers.
This position is a very senior role supporting the Commercial Director (and working closely with the Operations Directors) in leading and developing our commercial team and delivering our commercial strategy.
Overview of duties
Reporting to the Commercial Director you will:
- Be responsible for leading, developing and managing a team of experienced surveyors to provide commercial services to the business to the highest industry standards.
- In line with our ambitious Group vision and purpose, support the development of our commercial strategy and take a leading role in its successful implementation.
- Development of commercial reporting and supporting processes to meet and exceed the business needs and our future growth plans.
- Provide a leadership role in maximising the company’s commercial performance through outstanding commercial delivery, decisive decision making, team management and building excellent customer relationships.
- Play a key role in the development of our young upcoming talent in our commercial team and in particular our outstanding trainee QS colleagues. Coaching and mentoring our commercial leaders of the future and guiding them through our graduate program.
- Taking a leadership role in ensuring we live our Values.
Other areas of responsibility will include:
- Develop in conjunction with the Commercial Director, Operations Directors, and each senior project leadership team a project delivery strategy for each project secured.
- Take a leading role in identifying, analysing, and developing responses to commercial risks.
- Taking a proactive leadership approach to managing the preparation and presentation of monthly project reports with the commercial and operations teams for each project and/or business review. This will include oversight of the preparation of accurate and timely commercial cost control reports on projects, ensuring these reports clearly identify committed cost and forecast cost and the identification and thorough analysis of the risks and opportunities on each project.
- Taking a leadership role in ensuring the accurate and timely preparation and monitoring of project cash flows.
- Establishing strong relationships with client leads to agree variations and final accounts.
- Building relationships with and overseeing the management of suppliers and subcontractors during the procurement process and subsequently, where necessary, to get the best value for the business.
- Developing, in conjunction with the Commercial Director and the head of legal, best in class contract documentation for use with customers, suppliers and subcontractors.
- Take ownership of key commercial initiatives across the business.
Your education & experience requirements
- Minimum of 10+ years’ experience in a senior commercial M&E role.
- Experience in Data Centres, energy projects, industrial and pharmaceutical projects.
- Proven deep commercial acumen.
- Excellent people management skills including strong verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills. A team leader and a mentor.
- Outstanding attention to detail, with an analytical approach and ability to work using your initiative.
- Ambitious to lead and develop a growing Commercial team and deliver Designer Group’s vision and mission.
- Third level degree in Quantity Surveying or similar.
- Health Care
- Career Progression within the wider group
- Accredited Engineers Ireland Employer for CPD
- Pathway to Chartership with the SCSI
- International Travel Opportunities
How you can develop your career in DG
The Commercial Team work closely with all departments in the group, allowing employees to vary and develop their knowledge and expertise. Our people are the foundation for our continued growth and encouraging continuous professional development and providing a pathway to Professional Chartership is a top priority. This investment has produced an innovative and passionate team that deliver projects for our clients safely, efficiently and to the highest standards in the industry.