Designer Group, a leading specialist M&E service provider, is looking to recruit a Senior Mechanical Estimator in a full time and permanent based at Designer Group Head Office in Ballycoolin, Dublin and client sites in the Dublin area.
About Our Company
Designer Group is a leading international mechanical & electrical provider specialising in turnkey packages for the design, supply, and installation of M&E services. Headquartered in Dublin, we employ in excess of 1000 experienced and dedicated colleagues across the Group. As an industry leader, we work with some of the world’s largest multinational companies and our common purpose is delivering ambitious, innovative and sustainable engineering solutions, building client partnerships that bear testament to the standards we uphold.
Our people are the foundation of our continued growth across all client sectors. We invest in our people and have a philosophy of continuous professional development. This investment has produced an innovative and passionate team that deliver projects for our clients safely, efficiently and to the highest standards in the industry. Our approach to everything we do is underpinned by our Values of:
This is an exciting time for Designer Group, with the fruits of our Engineering Our Future Strategy 2025 reflected in our substantial pipeline of work in Ireland, Europe, Africa and South America.
- Will be involved in winning and tendering desired projects achieving discounts with suppliers and sub-contractors.
- Access initial tenders in respect of attractiveness, selectivity, commercial risk and competition, and provide appropriate report to management.
- Reviewing tender documentation issued by client and drive a thorough understanding of requirements.
- Responsible for accurately quantifying materials, plant and labour requirements for allocated projects, ensure that for pre-designed projects, enquiries relative to the supply of materials, plant and labour is satisfactorily dealt with and that relevant information, contractual and trading particulars are distributed.
- Set up, in conjunction with line manager, estimating process and procedures, systems and data base. Maintain the estimating system to ensure all labour norms and prime costs are correct.
- Prepare tender adjudication pack ready for sign off with senior management (this will include the collation/finalising of mechanical elements).
- Build up labour rate including all factors and gang mix.
- Prepare tender risk analysis and ensure tender submission is appropriately clarified.
- Prepare Contractors proposals forming part of the tender submission, together with tender programmes, organisation charts, method statements etc.
- Provide a fully detailed tender based on a performance specification and architects layout drawings for a D&B project. Provide design solutions including sketches, drawings, preliminary sizing of plant and equipment and take offs for D&B projects. Utilise supply chain for design input.
- Send out enquiries and work closely with procurement manager and supply chain at tender stage to ensure that we have a correct and competitive prime cost. Vet all subcontractor and plant tender submissions for compliance.
- Cost preliminaries based on contract duration and requirements.
- Collate the mechanical estimate in conjunction with electrical estimator and put the final bid together.
- Provide estimating workload planner and maintain a data base of bids submitted.
- Follow up bids after submission and bid manage through to contract where required. This will include obtaining feedback on our price.
- Provide monthly estimating report to management.
- Provide Value engineered options (VE) and associated costs utilising innovation and the supply chain to ensure we add value in our tender where appropriate.
- Undertake other duties as requested, from time to time, that fall within the scope of the position.
- Third level Degree in Quantity Surveying or similar.
- Minimum of 5 – 10 years’ experience in a similar role.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills dealing with design team / client / meetings etc.
- Good attention to detail, with an analytical approach and ability to work using your own initiative.
- Health Care.
- Career Progression within the wider group.
- Accredited Engineers Ireland Employer for CPD.
- Pathway to Chartership with the SCSI.
- International Travel Opportunities.
- WrkIt lifestyle savings, learning and wellbeing platform membership.
If you are excited about this opportunity and meet the qualifications mentioned above, we would love to hear from you. Our recruitment team will review applications and reach out to qualified candidates for further consideration.
Designer Group is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity.